NSF CAREER Recipient
Fulbright U.S. Scholar
Institute for Research in Electronics & Applied Physics
Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2004
- M.S., Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehobot, Israel
- B.A., Chemistry, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Professor Rabin received a B.A. degree in chemistry from the Technion, Haifa, Israel, an M.Sc. degree in chemistry from the Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehobot, Israel, and a Ph.D. degree in physical chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA in 2004. He completed postdoctoral training at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School and at the University of California, Berkeley. He joined the University of Maryland in 2007.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award (2012)
- Fulbright Award, 2022
- Synthesis and physical properties of nanowires and porous thin films
- Electrical and thermal transport in low dimensional systems
- Nanoporous membrances
- Interfacial nanoscience (including organic-inorganic systems, controlled assembly, scattering, and surface plasmons)
- Thermal and electric transport
- Applications in sensing, microfluidics, and chromatography
Recent years have seen significant progress in the fabrication of nanoscale structures and in understanding the unusual physics that govern their properties. Dr. Rabin's efforts will be concentrated in developing methodologies to prepare new types of nanostructures that will have characteristics not found in larger materials. He is also interested in investigating the ways in which nanostructures interact differently with their environment: can they promote chemical reactions, absorb molecules, and manipulate light and electrons and spins.
Dr. Rabin's research interests also include chemical sensing and molecule-nanoparticle interactions; advanced materials for thermoelectric energy generation; applications of nanoparticles as biomarkers for imaging, diagnosis, and repair; porous anodic alumina scaffolds; and molecular and nanoparticle transport in microfluidic devices.
For a complete list of publications, please visit Professor Rabin's web site
- Lee, W.; Lee, S. Y.; Zhang, X.; Rabin, O.; Briber, R. M., Hexagonally Ordered Nanoparticles Templated Using a Block Copolymer Film Through Coulombic Interactions. Nanotechnology 2013, 24, 045305. Abstract
- Rabin, O., Self-Assembly: Judging a Nanocubes by its Cover. Nature Nanotechnology 2012, 7, 419–420. Abstract
- Cornett, J. E.; Rabin, O., Effect of the Energy Dependence of the Carrier Scattering Time on the Thermoelectric Power Factor of Quantum Wells and Nanowires. Applied Physics Letters 2012, 100, (24), 242106 (4 pages). Abstract This article was selected for the June 25, 2012 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- Rabin, O.; Lee, S. Y., SERS Substrates by the Assembly of Silver Nanocubes – High Throughput and Enhancement Reliability Considerations. Journal of Nanotechnology 2012, vol. 2012, Article ID 870378. Open Access Article Online | PDF
- Lee, S. Y.; Rabin, O., A Unique Solid-Solid Transformation of Silver Nanoparticles on Reactive Ion-Etching-Processed Silicon. Nanotechnology 2012, 23, 065301. Abstract
- Cornett, J. E.; Rabin, O., Universal Scaling Relations for the Thermoelectric Power Factor of Semiconducting Nanostructures. Physical Review B 2011, 84, 205410. Abstract
- Lee, W.; Lee, S. Y.; Briber, R. M.; Rabin, O., Self-Assembled SERS Substrates with Tunable Surface Plasmon Resonances. Advanced Functional Materials 2011, 21, (18), 3424-3429. Abstract
- Cornett, J. E.; Rabin, O., Thermoelectric Figure of Merit Calculations for Semiconducting Nanowires.Applied Physics Letters 2011, 98, (18), 182104. Abstract This article was selected for the May 16, 2011 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- Tkachuk, S.; Lang, G.; Krafft, C.; Mayergoyz, I. D.; Rabin, O., Plasmon Resonance Enhancement of Faraday Rotation in Thin Garnet Films. Journal of Applied Physics 2011, 109, (7), 07B717. Abstract
- Lee, S. Y.; Hung, L.; Lang, G. S.; Cornett, J. E.; Mayergoyz, I. D.; Rabin, O., Dispersion in the SERS Enhancement with Silver Nanocube Dimers. ACS Nano 2010, 4, (10), 5763-5772. Abstract
- Mayergoyz, I. D.; Lang, G.; Hung, L.; Tkachuk, S.; Krafft, C.; Rabin, O., Plasmon resonance enhancement of magneto-optic effects in garnets. Journal of Applied Physics 2010, 107, (9), 09A925. Abstract