Director, Center for Materials Innovation
R&D 100 Award (2022, 2021, 2020, 2018)
Fellow of MRS (Class of 2022)
Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
Liangbing Hu received his B.S. in physics from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 2002, where he worked on colossal magnetoresistance (CMR) materials for three years. He did his Ph.D. (2002-2007) at University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), focusing on carbon-nanotube-based nanoelectronics. In 2006, he co-founded Unidym Inc. and led the development of roll-to-roll printed carbon nanotube films and device integration in touch screens, LCDs, flexible OLDEs, and solar cells. He did his postdoc at Stanford University from 2009 to 2011, where he worked on various energy storage technologies using nanomaterials. Currently, he is a Distinguished University Professor at University of Maryland, College Park. His research group focuses on materials innovations, device integration, and manufacturing, with ongoing research activities on electrified ultrahigh-temperature synthesis, energy storage beyond Li-ion batteries, and novel wood nanotechnologies. Dr. Hu has published >450 research papers (including >10 Science and Nature) and is an inventor with 25 issued patents and 45 patent applications. He co-founded multiple startups based on technologies out of his research group.
- Ph.D. (2007) in Physics, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.S. (2002) in Physics, University of Science and Technology of China
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Distinguished University Professor (2023)
- R&D 100 Award: Expanded Cellulose Super Ion Conductor (2022)
- Fellow of MRS (2022)
- American Chemical Society Energy & Fuels (ENFL) Research Excellence Award in Electrochemical Energy Storage (2022)
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry Nano Technical Award (2022)
- Blavatnik National Award for Young Scientists Finalist (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Nature Spinoff Prize by Nature (2021)
- R&D 100 Award: UHS Rapid Sintering (2021)
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award (2021)
- R&D 100 Award: High Entropy Alloy Catalysts (2020)
- TAPPI Nano Middle Career Award (2019)
- R&D 100 Award: Super Wood: Stronger and Lighter Than Steel (2018)
- ACS Nano Letter Young Investigator (2017)
- Emerging Investigator Award, ACS Division of Energy and Fuel (2016)
- ONR Young Investigator Award (2016)
- Air Force Young Investigator Award (2013)
PATENTS (25 issued and 45 applications)
- L. Hu, C. Wang, "Inverted Battery Devices, and Systems and Methods for Use Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 11,724,024.
- L. Hu, E. D. Wachsman, B. Liu, L. Zhang, S. Xu, D. McOwen, C. Yang, "Lithium Battery", U.S. Patent No. 11,569,527.
- L. Hu, M. Zhu, Y. Li, C. Chen, T. Li, H. Liu, A. Gong, Y. Kuang, "Wood-based Solar Thermal Devices, and Methods for Fabrication and Use Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 11,578,894.
- L. Hu, T. Li, C. Yang, X. Zhang, R. M. Briber, M. Wu, "Ion-conducting Structures, Devices including Ion-conducting Structures, and Methods for Use and Fabrication Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 11,374,255.
- L. Hu, Y. Chen, Y. Yao, "Nanoparticles and Systems and Methods for Synthesizing Nanoparticles Through Thermal Shock", U.S. Patent No. 11,369,929.
- Y. Yao, L. Hu, "Thermal Shock Synthesis of Multielement Nanoparticles", U.S. Patent No. 11,193,191.
- L. Hu, M. Zhu, J. Song, "Stong and Tough Structural Wood Materials, and Methods for Fabricating and Use Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 11,130,256.
- L. Hu, E. D. Wachsman, Y. Gong, K. Fu, W. Luo, C. Wang, "Metal Alloy Layers on Substrates, Methods of Making Same, and Uses Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 11,043,696.
- L. Hu, Z. Fang, H. Zhu, "Scalable, Highly Transparent Paper with Microsized Fiber", U.S. Patent No. 10,982,390.
- L. Hu, X. Han, E. D. Wachsman, Y. Mo, "Interfacial Layers for Solid-state Batteries and Methods of Making Same", U.S. Patent No. 10,971,761.
- L. Hu, F. Chen, A. Gong, "Membranes and Methods of Use Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 10,940,444.
- A. C. Kozen, M. A. Schroeder, G. W. Rubloff, L. Hu, M. Noked, S. Lee, "Protection Layers for Metal Anodes", U.S. Patent No. 10,826,065.
- E. D. Wachsman, L. Hu, V. Thangadurai, "Ion Conducting Batteries with Solid State Electrolyte Materials", U.S. Patent No. 10,622,666.
- L. Hu, Z. Fang, H. Zhu, "Super Clear Cellulose Paper", U.S. Patent No. 10,480,126.
- L. Hu, Y. Yao, T. Li, "Transparent Hybrid Substrates, Devices Employing such Substrates, and Methods for Fabrication and Use Thereof", U.S. Patent No. 10,411,222.
- L. Hu, J. Choi, Y. Yangy, Y. Cui, "Conductive Fibrous Materials", U.S. Patent No. 9,138,965.
- S. Jeong, L. Hu, Y. Cui, "Method for Forming a Nano-textured Substrate", U.S. Patent No. 8,999,857.
- L. Cui, Y. Cui, L. Hu, "Nanotube-based Nanomaterial Membrane", U.S. Patent No. 8,974,967.
- Y. Yang, L. Hu, Y. Cui, S. Jeong, "Transparent Electrochemical Energy Storage Devices", U.S. Patent No. 8,956,757.
- Y. Cui, H. Wu, L. Hu, "Electrodes with Electrospun Fibers", U.S. Patent No. 8,940,194.
- L. Hu, D. Hecht, J. Jue, G. Gruner, "Compliant and Nonplanar Nanostructure Films", U.S. Patent No. 8,815,346.
- Y. Park, G. Gruner, L. Hu, "Transparent and Conductive Nanostructure-film Pixel Electrode and Method of Making the Same", U.S. Patent No. 8,785,939.
- L. Hu, G. Gruner, "Touch Screen Devices Employing Nanostructure Networks", U.S. Patent No. 8,390,589.
- G. Gruner, D. Hecht, L. Hu, "Method of Producing a Graphene Film as Transparent and Electrically Conducting Material", U.S. Patent No. 7,785,557.
- G. Gruner, L. Hu, D. Hecht, "Graphene Film as Transparent and Electrically Conducting Material", U.S. Patent No. 7,449,133.
- Wood nanoscience and nanotechnologies, various engineered wood such as super wood, transparent wood, moldable wood, and insulating wood
- Ultrahigh temperature processes and their use for non-equilibrium synthesis (shock synthesis)
- High entropy catalysts
- Ionic materials and technologies
- Solid state batteries
- Roll-to-roll printed electronics and flexible electronics
Dr. Hu is currently leading various projects funded by DOE-ARPA_E, DOE-EERE, NSF, DARPA, and industry partners.
Professor Hu teaches "Nanotechnology for Energy: Principles, Materials and Devices" at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Professor Hu is also active in mentoring and outreach activities, including serving as an advisor to a Gemstone honors program team, hosting visits from high school students in Women In Engineering's LEAD Academy summer program, a partnership with Wheaton High School to create summer internships and new science lessons, and talking to visitors of all ages about materials science at Maryland Day.
Dong, Q.; Dilip Lele, A.; Zhao, X.; Li, S.; Cheng, S.; Wang, Y.; Cui, M.; Guo, M.; Brozena, A.H.; Lin, Y.; Li, T.; Xu, L.; Qi, A.; Kevrekidis, I.; Mei, J.; Pan, X.; Liu, D.; Ju, Y.; Hu, L.* Depolymerization of Plastics via Electrified Spatiotemporal Heating, Nature, 2023, 616, 488.
Dong, Q.; Yao, Y.; Cheng, S.; Alexopoulos, K.; Gao, J.; Srinivas, S.; Yang, Y.; Pei, Y.; Zheng, C.; Brozena, A.H.; Zhao, H.; Wang, X.; Toraman, H.; Yang, B.; Kevrekidis, I.; Ju, Y.; Vlachos, D.; Liu, D.; Hu, L.* Programmable Heating and Quenching for Efficient Thermochemical Synthesis. Nature, 2022, 605, 470. (COVER)
Yao, Y.; Dong, Q.; Brozena, A.; Luo, J.; Miao, J.; Chi, M.; Wang, C.; Kevrekidis, I.; Ren, J.; Greeley, J.; Wang, G.; Anapolsky, A.; Hu, L.* High Entropy Nanoparticles: Synthesis-Structure-Property Relationships and Data-Driven Accelerated Discovery, Science, 2022, 376, eabn3102.
Yang, C.; Wu, Q.; Xie, W.; Zhang, X.; Brozena, A.; Zheng, J.; Garage, M.N.; Ko, B.; Mao, Y.; He, S.; Gao, Y.; Wang, P.; Tyagi, M.; Jiao, F.; Briber, R.; Albertus, P.; Wang, C.; Greenbaum, S.; Hu, Y.; Isogai, A.; Winter, M.; Xu, K.; Qi, Y.; Hu, L.* Copper-Coordinated Cellulose Ion Conductors for Solid-State Batteries, Nature, 2021, 598, 590.
Xiao, S; Chen, C.; Xia, Q.; Liu, Y.; Yao, Y.; Chen, Q.; Hartsfield, M.; Brozena, A.; Tu, K.; Eichhorn, S.J.; Yao, Y.; Li. J.; Gan, W.; Shi, S.; Yang, V.; Ricco, M.; Zhu, Y.; Burgert, I.; Luo, A.; Li, T.; Hu, L.* Lightwight, Strong, Modldable Wood via Cell Wall Engineering as a Sustainable Structural Material, Science, 2021, 374, 465. (COVER)
Li, T.; Chen, C.; Brozena, A.; Zhu, J.; Xu, L.; Driemeier, C.; Dai, J.; Rojas, O.; Isogai, A.; Wagberg, L.; Hu, L.* Developing Fibrillated Cellulose as a Sustainable Technological Material, Nature, 2021, 590, 47.
Wang, C.; Ping, W.; Bai, Q.; Cui, H.; Hensleigh, R.; Wang, R.; Brozena, A., Xu, Z.; Dai, J.; Pei, Y.; Zheng, C.; Pastel, G.; Gao, J.; Wang, X.; Wang, H.; Zhao, J.; Yang, B.; Luo, J.; Zheng, X.; Mo, Y.; Dunn, B.; Hu, L.* A General Method to Synthesize and Sinter Bulk Ceramics in Seconds, Science, 2020, 268 (6490), 521-526. (COVER)
Li, T.; Zhai, Y.; He, S.; Gan, W.; Wei, Z.; Heidarinejad, M.; Dalgo, D.; Mi, R.; Zhao, X.; Song, J.; Dai, J.; Chen, C.; Aili, A.; Vellore, A.; Martini, A.; Yang, R.; Srebric, J.; Yin, X.; Hu, L.* A Radiative Cooling Structural Material. Science, 2019, 364 (6442), 760.
Yao, Y.; Huang, Z.; Xie, P.; Lacey, S.; Jacob, R.; Xie, H.; Chen, F.; Nie, A.; Pu, T.; Rehwoldt, M.; Yu, D.; Zachariah, M.; Wang, C.; Shahbazian-Yassar R.; Li, J.; Hu, L.* Carbothermal Shock Synthesis of High-Entropy-Alloy Nanoparticles. Science, 2018, 359 (6383), 1489 (COVER).
Song, J.; Chen, C.; Zhu, S.; Zhu, M.; Dai, J.; Ray, U.; Li, Y.; Kuang, Y.; Li, Y.; Quyispe, N.; Yao, Y.; Gong, A.; Leiste, U.H.; Bruck, H.A.; Zhu, J.Y.; Vellore, A.; Martini, A.; Li, T.; Hu, L.* Processing Bulk Natural Wood into a High-Performance Structural Materials. Nature, 2018, 554 (7691), 224.